(CMR) A mother has expressed deep concerns after her 15-year-old son was reportedly able to access THC (ganja) edibles through the Bento food app. The edibles, Delta Bang THC Gummies, were allegedly made available through Bento Pharma without prescription and age verification.
This comes against the backdrop of US physicians raising the alarm about mental health and even recreational marijuana use by teens after a recent study showed an alarming link. In that JAMA study, parents are being warned to take the matter seriously with physicians sharing:
Your radar needs to be up that they’re much more likely to have issues learning, depression and anxiety, and not assuming that it’s not problematic or ‘just a phase.’
The woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, said her son returned home from a friend's house displaying unusual behavior, with symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, and bloodshot eyes, causing great alarm. When she questioned him about what he has consumed, the teen confessed that he and his friends had experimented with THC edibles.
While this shocked the mother of two boys, she was left in disbelief when her son said these edibles were readily available for delivery through the Bento food app. She decided to launch her own investigations and confirmed what her son told her.
“As a mother of two boys, both under the age of 16, I felt compelled to share this information in order to protect the well-being of not only my own children but also others who may be at risk.” the woman said.
“Naturally, my initial response was skepticism. How could a company legally facilitate the delivery of drugs like THC, especially to minors? I felt compelled to investigate this matter independently, and to my absolute dismay, I discovered that, indeed, such delivery services exist through Bento,” she stated.
“Astonishingly, they operate without requiring a prescription, medical consultation, age verification, or any form of medical identification. This raises the question: How is this even possible? As far as my research indicates, all THC products, including edibles, are illegal unless prescribed and monitored by a licensed physician,” she continued.
The mother questioned Bento's role as a licensed pharmacy and said reported the matter to the police.
Images of ganja edibles eaten by students released by police
“I would expect a licensed pharmacy to adhere to strict rules and protocols when handling drugs of this nature,” she said.
“While we will address our son's involvement and administer appropriate discipline, our concern lies with holding this company accountable. Immediate action is crucial to prevent other children from falling ill or, heaven forbid, overdosing on these dangerous substances,” the concerned mother added.
Meantime, when CMR brought this matter to Bento's attention, the company said it will investigate the matter and will provide updates on its findings and the actions it will take.