(CMR) The majority of Honduras will be entering a lockdown and continued nighttime curfew it was announced yesterday prompting many to do last-minute shopping and stocking up of supplies. The country has reported over 144,007 confirmed COVID-19 cases with 3,512 deaths as of January 28.
Exceptions to the new restrictions include Santa Barbara, Cortes, Atlantida and Yoro.
The public health system is being severely pressured and has limited capacity to handle critical cases.
All schools, bars, nightclubs, cinemas, gyms, theatres, sports complexes, and convention centers in Honduras are expected to remain close this week as the government extended curfews and implemented further measures to reduce the country's spread of the coronavirus.
Present curfews have been extended until February 7. Everyone is expected to be off the streets and be in their homes between 9 pm and 5 am. Only essential workers will be permitted to travel during curfew hours.
Banks, supermarkets, and other businesses that will be allowed to operate were warned not to exceed 50 percent of their capacity during operations. Businesses are only allowed to have 50% capacity and should establish a special schedule for the elderly, pregnant women, and people with disabilities.
A maximum of 10 people is allowed to meet where necessary.
Security forces will be deployed to enforce the curfew and the wearing of face masks in public is mandatory along with social distancing and use of sanitary gel.
Meantime, Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez said on Saturday that his country expected to receive its initial batch of COVID-19 vaccines during the second half of February through the COVAX program backed by the World Health Organization (WHO).
In a post on Twitter, Hernandez said his government had been informed by COVAX-Gavi that Honduras would receive up to 800,000 doses of vaccine in the second half of February.