(CMR) A mother-of-two from Indiana, United States, reportedly died from water toxicity after drinking 64 ounces of water in 20 minutes.
Asley Summers (35) was reportedly with her family on a 4th of July boat trip when she complained of feeling dehydrated and drank the large quantity of water. Just after arriving home, she reportedly collapsed and was taken hospital but never awoke. She succumbed to a rare condition, water toxicity.
The rare illness occurs when the body consumes too much water too quickly, leaving it unable to replace essential minerals quickly enough.
“There are certain things that can make someone more at risk for it, but the overall thing that happens is that you have too much water and not enough sodium in your body,” toxicologist Dr Blake Froberg explained to WRTV.
Symptoms can include headaches, nausea, muscle cramps, confusion, seizures,vomiting, and in severe cases swelling in the brain and death.
Dr. Froberg advised people to slowly drink regularly throughout the day and ensure that they have enough electrolytes, sodium and potassium in their system.
The mother became an organ donor meaning that she saved the life of five others.
Summers' family are honouringher by raising awareness of water toxicity.