(CMR) Several parents have raised concerns with CMR about the lack of safety protocols at the Ritz Carlton Water Park after a father had to perform CPR on someone else's child, who almost drowned on Monday. His quick thinking saved the toddler's life.
The child reportedly passed out in the pool after having an allergic reaction. It was not clear what the child reacted to as he did not have any food he was allergic to. He was reportedly pulled from the water by his parents and was choking.
According to the man who performed CPR on the three-year-old boy after finding out the lifeguard on duty did not have CPR training, it was a frightening experience for the parents and children present. There was some uncertainty about whether there was actually a lifeguard posted at the facility.
The child was reportedly unable to breathe, and “his eyes were turning yellow” when he was removed from the pool. “None of the staff around the pool knew CPR,” the upset rescuer said.
The man said staff revealed there is a unit that responds to medical emergencies; however, he was alarmed that in an emergency like that, parents should wait almost 10 minutes for that team to arrive. The rescuer said he was even further shocked to learn that when the unit finally arrived at the location, they did not have basics such as Benadryl to give the child for his allergic reaction.
A Facebook post about the incident on the page Women in Cayman sparked intense discussion on the incident. The consensus was that accidents happen to children; however, parents believe a lifeguard should be CPR certified to aid in emergencies.
The original poster said her post was not to shame the hotel but to bring awareness to parents, especially with summer camps starting soon. The mother encouraged parents to ensure staff is adequately trained to assist their children when sending them to camps.
Child safeguarding policies for all facilities that cater to children should be confirmed by parents.
CMR has reached out to Ritz Carlton for comment; however, they had not responded at press time.