(CMR) Over 150 prize winners will be selected on Friday 18th June 2021 in the Ministry of Tourism’s Vaccine Challenge prize giveaway. The draw will take place from 5 pm -7 pm at Cayman Cabana in front of a live audience, and the public is invited to attend.
Kenneth Bryan, Minister for Tourism, who came up with the idea for the prize giveaway, will be assisted in drawing the names of the lucky prize winners by specially invited guests, including members of the Pact Government, Miss Cayman Islands Universe, Mariah Tibbetts, and Miss World Cayman Islands, Rashana Hydes.
“The vaccine challenge was a huge success which encouraged 14,375 people to get vaccinated. I am extremely pleased with this result and I’m looking forward to giving away lots of great prizes, so I hope many of the people who got vaccinated will join me on Friday at the draw,” said Minister Bryan.
Anyone vaccinated between 8 May and 9 June was eligible to enter the draw for a variety of prizes, including a home solar system, jewellery, staycations, airline tickets, gift certificates, a property valuation, and more. Prize winners do not need to be present on Friday to win, but all winners will need to show a photo ID and their vaccination card showing they were vaccinated between 8th May and 9th June in order to claim the prize.
Prior to the start of the Challenge on Public Health, officials were expressing concerns that the current supply of vaccines was at risk of expiring without being used. Less than one month after launching the Challenge, the entire stock of vaccines had been utilized, well ahead of the expiration deadline.
“Everyone who has been vaccinated, whether during the Challenge or beforehand, has played a part in bringing us closer to achieving a figure that is acceptable by government to trigger a safe reopening of our borders,” said Minister Bryan. “Although we are not there yet, it is important that we maintain the momentum to keep us heading in the right direction. I am therefore very pleased that so many people came forward during the Challenge because being vaccinated is the best way to ensure that our population is protected from the effects of COVID-19,” he explained.
Referencing the extensive list of prizes that have been donated, Minister Bryan thanked the business community, saying, “I am extremely proud of our tourism partners and the wider business community who have shown their support for this initiative by offering an amazing selection of prizes valued at close to $56,000. This overwhelming generosity is greatly appreciated because, without prizes, the Vaccine Challenge would not have been so successful. I also wish to recognize D’Corn Shack for giving away free popcorn at each of the Vaccine Challenge events and Burger King, who gave away thousands of free ‘whoppers’ to persons who got vaccinated.”
The public is advised to check local media and the Ministry of Tourism’s Facebook page later in the week for more details on the prize giveaway.
LIST OF PRIZES
- a $12,000 (6.24kw) fully installed home solar system donated by Affordable Solar, Ltd;
- Airline tickets for travel on Cayman Airways to Cayman Brac, Miami and to any Cayman Airways destination;
- A 2-night staycation at Compass Point Dive Resort;
- A 2-night staycation at Southern Cross Club;
- A $500 share certificate from the CICSA Co-op Credit Union, Ltd or $500 cash for non-members.
- A Movado ladies watch courtesy of Diamonds International;
- Tiffany style bracelets Milano Diamond Gallery;
- gift vouchers from AL Thompsons, Bluestone Lane, Boxed Cayman, Casanova’s Restaurant, Fosters, Grand Old House, Grape Tree Café, Hard Rock Café, NM Ventures; and more;
- Cayman Map Necklaces courtesy of Diamond Marquise
- A 1 hour Jet Ski tour courtesy of Aqua Watersports;
- Weekend car rental courtesy of Hertz;
- Champagne Brunch and Dinner packages from Tillies;
- Teeth Bleaching Treatments courtesy of The Strand Dental Clinic;
- Sterling Silver Necklaces from Rocky’s Diamond Gallery;
- A property valuation worth $1,000 from Quayside;
- Complimentary passes to Pedro St James, QEII Botanic Park, and the Cayman Turtle Centre,
- Free Bite Club Points courtesy of Market Street Ltd;