(CMR) The five passengers on board the missing Titan submersible are believed to be dead after parts of the vessel were discovered on the ocean floor some 1,600 feet from the Titanic wreckage on Thursday.
Authorities belied there was a “catastrophic implosion of the vessel,” which would have resulted in the death of the pilot and the four crew members on board.
Those on board the sub included Stockton Rush, the 61-year-old CEO of OceanGate, as well as British-Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood (48) and his son Suleman (19). British businessman Hamish Harding (58) and Paul-Henry Nargeolet, a 77-year-old former French navy diver and renowned explorer, were also on the vessel.
Rear Admiral John Mauger, who led the search, confirmed that a remotely operated vehicle had discovered the nose cone of the lost submersible about 487m (1,600ft) from the bow of the Titanic on the seafloor. Further debris was found nearby
“In consultation with experts from within unified command, the debris is consistent with the catastrophic loss of the pressure chamber,” Rear Admiral Mauger said.
“On behalf of US Coast Guard and entire unified command, I offer deepest condolences to the families. I can only imagine what this has been like for them, and I hope this discovery provides some solace during this difficult time,” he added.
OceanGate, which owned the submersible, said: “These men were true explorers who shared a distinct spirit of adventure and a deep passion for exploring and protecting the world's oceans. Our hearts are with these five souls and every member of their families during this tragic time. We grieve the loss of life and joy they brought to everyone they knew.”
Newly uncovered allegations suggest there had been significant warnings made about vessel safety during the submersible’s development.