(CMR) We’re all hoping that May is a much better month than April, after all the constant coronavirus news can be depressing.
However, a new month brings new hope and CMR is sharing ten interesting facts about May.
- According to historical records, Christopher Columbus first sighted the Cayman Islands on May 10, 1503.
- The month gets its name from the Greek goddess of fertility, Maia.
- In May 1990, South Africa and the African National Congress opened talks to end apartheid
- May is masturbation month. May 28 is designated as the day to celebrate self-love.
- No US president has ever died in the month of May.
- Since the early 20th century, the name “May” usually assigned to baby girls has been declining in popularity.
- Mother’s Day is celebrated in May, for those of us in the Americas, yes that includes Cayman. The special day for mothers is celebrated on the second Sunday in May.
- May 18 is No Dirty Dishes Day, the day is commemorated by either not washing any dirty dishes or by washing all the dishes you can.
- May is the month in which most British Prime Minister’s were born, nine UK prime ministers were born in May.
- May was once considered a bad luck month to get married. There is a poem that says “Marry in May and you’ll rue the day”.