(CMR) The Public Works Department Director, Max Jones, has sent out an email to all staff stating that a Cayman 27 story was causing concern among staff and needed to be addressed.
He stated that that accusations levied against them in the Legislative Assembly of a possible “unauthorized bank account” are false. Confirming:
“I categorically state that PWD holds zero bank accounts of any kind, containing zero funds.”
He states that staff were concerned and he was seeking to alleviate their questions by confirming that no such bank account exists and accounts are held at the ministerial level not by the department.
The matter was brought up last week Thursday, 13 September; when the Ombudsmen’s Office requested additional funding. Before the vote, it was disclosed that a CI$ 500,000 payment had been deposited to an account for The Public Work’s Department that remained unused.
East End MLA Arden McLean was particular bothered by the possibility that a “secret” account existed with unused government funds. He stated:
“They cannot and they must not have a bank account out in the middle of George Town as if they have a back pocket and working out of that, plus working off the budget the peoples’ representative approved,”
Ombudsman Sandy Hermiston said her office will conduct an audit in the wake of the transaction. She also apologized for the confusion.
“It certainly was not intended to circumvent the process or be underhanded or hide money. My office would never part of that kind of thing. And I just need to assure you that was not the intent,”
explained Ms. Herminston.
Minister Hon. Joey Hew said he was not aware of the situation and assured his team will get the details on the matter.