(CMR) Caymanian and disgraced former CONCACAF president and FIFA vice-president Jeffrey Webb is expected to be sentenced December 7, more than six years after he was arrested in FIFA's biggest scandal.
Webb was arrested in FBI raids on the Bar au Lac hotel in Zurich, Switzerland, in May 2015. He was part of an initial 47-count US federal court indictment and faced 14 charges for racketeering and bribery. The US Department of Justice said he had been part of a FIFA corruption and racketeering scheme that spanned 25 years.
He pleaded guilty to racketeering, wire fraud, and money laundering conspiracies as one of the original indictments issued by the US Department of Justice in the FIFAGate scandal. Webb has agreed to pay multiple fines totaling US$6.7 million.
The US Department of Justice said Webb was involved in a $110 million bribe in connection with the Copa America football tournament, including a special 2016 Centenario (100th anniversary) version of the tournament, which was to be played in the US.
Although he pleaded guilty to several of the charges, Webb has escaped sentencing, having petitioned the US courts 11 times to postpone his sentencing.
Webb is also wanted by Cayman Islands authorities in connection with his role in the CarePay swipe card scandal at Health Services Authority but is prevented from extradition while the US case is ongoing.
Webb, who was tipped to become the next FIFA president, was the highest-profile of more than 40 FIFA officials arrested.
According to Inside World Football, Webb has co-operated with the US authorities since agreeing to be extradited, but waiting for six years for his sentencing to be completed has only led to speculation as to what information he has that would warrant such a delay.