(CMR) A police officer's child was one of the three teens at Clifton Hunter High School that needed to have their stomach pumped in order to survive a laced pebbles rice crispy treat that apparently had some form of marijuana in it. Additional details emerged after our original story was published this morning including the fact that some children became so violently ill they literally passed out and when taken to the hospital required their stomachs pumped.
It has been revealed to us that a young man took the treats to school and sold them. It might actually be the case that some children did not know that they were purchasing marijuana edibles. However, the result was that several ambulances were dispatched to the school to transport the children to the hospital.
After our Instagram post this morning one particular commenter caught the eerie of parents and other students as they blame the young man for being responsible for supplying a younger kid with the illegal substance that was then placed in the brownies. He is said to be a former student at the school but he went as far as saying “if you can't handle it don't buy it or eat it simple”.
Whilst this youngster might find the incident amusing the authorities are not and have launched a criminal investigation into the matter. In fact, the police have already spoken to some persons involved and unconfirmed reports are that the IG poster's name is “all over the case”. Parents are hopeful that a strong message will be sent to him to deter others from doing the same.
One parent shared that anything could be in those crispy treats.
The Department of Education Services (DES) issued a statement late this afternoon that the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service (RCIPS) has undertaken investigations of an incident involving three Clifton Hunter High School students, who fell ill after allegedly ingesting food that contained an unknown substance. Of those involved, two individuals have already been identified and excluded from the school until the investigation is completed.
Acting Director of DES, Mrs. Tammy Hopkins has reassured the public that the safety and wellness of students in the Government schools are priorities:
“We are committed to supporting the affected students and ensuring their physical and emotional well-being. Immediate and necessary actions have been taken to address this matter in line with the National School Discipline and School Behaviour Policy.”
Everyone is encouraged to learn more about the National School Discipline and School Behaviour Policy.