(CMR) Cayman Islands Red Cross (CIRC) recently recognized 91 Red Cross volunteers and 134 COVID-19 national volunteers for their contribution across several emergency responses in the Cayman Islands in 2020.
Deputy Governor Franz Manderson attended the Cayman Islands Red Cross appreciation ceremony on Thursday, February 25, to personally thank volunteers for their hard work and dedication in 2020.
The Deputy Governor who chairs the National Emergency Operations Centre in which CIRC plays a critical role thanked the team for their support throughout 2020 at the event.
“The Red Cross is an integral part of our response to any crisis because of the closeness of its ties with the community. We could not mount an effective response without them,” Manderson said.
Jondo Obi, Director of the CIRC, said 2020 was unprecedented, with the CIRC assisting the National Emergency Operations Centre in a number of crisis responses.
“These ranged from the 7.7 magnitude earthquake in January, landfill fire in February, and COVID-19 related activities from March onwards. This is on top of the day-to-day projects the volunteers complete for the thrift shop and event first aid coverage,” Obi said.
Awards were given in a wide range of categories demonstrating the extent of community work completed by the organization. These included:
– Child Protection Programme recognized the children for their voices in the COVID-19 hygiene handwashing video.
– Mobile Health & Wellness Community Project (in partnership with the Health Services Authority and private mental health practitioners).
– Shelter managers in recognition of the four times CIRC shelters were opened last year in response to the earthquake, landfill fire, Hurricane Eta, and Tropical Storm Iota.
– Supporting government-managed quarantine centers for returning travelers.
– Administrative and logistical support for the Health Services Authority (HSA) COVID-19 testing centers.
– Collecting laptops for children to complete online schooling.
– Thrift Shop Programme.
– First aid coverage at events and first aid instructors.
– CIRC admin support, including finance and the 60th Anniversary Committee.