(CMR) As the government prepares to reopen the country, Minister of Tourism Kenneth Bryan has reassured persons who have recently applied for the tourism stipend that they will receive back payments from July if they are approved.
Bryan said due to a number of issues, the verification process is taking longer than expected; however, it should be completed by mid-September.
He said those approved would receive payments for July, August, and September and then monthly going forward. There are currently 442 new applications for the tourism stipend.
Meantime, the minister is encouraging displaced tourism workers to register with WORC before August 31. He said 1,712 persons had registered so far. Of that number, 473 persons had been registered with WORC previously, while 598 stated they do not need assistance to find work.
“The data tells us that there are a lot of people, 1075 persons who have not yet registered…You should be registered by the end of this month,” Bryan said.
Among those who are not registered are the new applicants for the tourism stipend.
The minister also encouraged tourism workers to get vaccinated.