(CMR) A loyal Mango Tree customer is defending the restaurant after yesterday's viral video and has issued a video of his own to garner support for the restaurant.
By late yesterday a video of a lady discovering some “napkin chicken” in her lunch had gone viral on social media and WhatsApp. The piece of napkin looked eerily like fried chicken. Now, customers are taking sides on the matter with one man hoping to defend the popular local restaurant with a video of his own.
He shows his piping hot pigtails and beans and states that the other video appears to be a setup. He admits talking to the manager who admitted the meal was from their establishment. Despite that admission, this loyal customer states that it looks like “something well-orchestrated” – appears to place blame elsewhere.
“Something na right wid that food deh. With that being said they have the best food and the best staff and what have you. But me a say do not make that deter you …. the way the tissue fold up looks fishy.”
We understand the lady who found the napkin in her food is a government worker and has reported the matter to the Department of Environmental Health (DEH).
We reached out to Mango Tree for comment but have received no response. Our sources indicate that the restaurant parking lot was eerily empty today.
Whilst some people are sympathetic to the plight of the restaurant's others are not and have noted that it's time that restaurants be held accountable for their mishaps. In the past, CMR has reported on band-aids and even a screw being found in local food. In the United States restaurants are regularly shuttered for not maintaining minimum standards. However, this never appears to happen in the Cayman Islands regardless of complaints. One of CMR's correspondence writers recalls a time when a staff member at a local restaurant drank out of the cup she was serving her:
“This lady poured a tamarind drink for me to go and before putting the lid on the drink took a sip out of it right it front of me! I was so shocked that I actually paid for the drink and later threw it away! I also complained to DOE and of course not much came of it.”