(CMR) Residents at Smith Road Villas in George Town are complaining about health issues as a result sewage overflowing and toxic gas exposure at their 95 unit development.
Cayman Marl Road was recently contacted by several persons who are concerned about their health after being exposed to raw sewage leaks. They have claimed that the strata committee and strata management company are neglecting their obligations under the strata by-laws and general health codes of the Cayman Islands.
Our residence sources have indicated that there has been a refusal to replace a pump that would resolve the problem. This has resulted in toxic “off gasses” seeping into their homes and making them ill. Several residents have indicated that the are now suffering from severe headaches as a result of the exposure.
“The off gas is seeping into our homes and making people sick. I have had a constant headache for several days now and I cannot believe that nothing is being done about this. We pay strata fees every month and this is the end result.”
One concerned resident shared.
The have indicated that the strata committee has been aware of the issue for some time now but has neglected to correct the matter – which would involve replacement of the pump and treatment plate.
Furthermore, the close proximity of the homes exacerbates the situation even further. The homes are only 5 feet apartment with no bathroom windows that can be opened to release the gas. As a result the closest release point in the homes are the bedrooms where home owners sleep and throughout the air conditioning ventilation system.
Off gas is the seeping of sewage through plumbing back into the house because sewer lines are clogged and gas cannot be released. The end result is it seeps into the homes rather than being released via the vents. This exposure of hydrogen sulfide even at low levels can cause eye and respiratory tract issues. Other symptoms include nervousness, dizziness, nausea, headache and drowsiness. Even at low levels the gas smells like rotten eggs.
BCQS, the strata management company responsible for Smith Road Villas have provided the following statement previously:
”I am sorry. The issues with the entire sewage system largely due to the constant abuse of it by the occupiers (most issues caused by inappropriate material being put down the system) have been known for some time. BCQS has brought this to the attention of the strata so many times and we have acted to have someone attend. We will not be held liable for this.”
Desite this residents continue to suffer and some are considering legal action against the strata.