(CMR) Dengue deaths continue to rise in St Vincent and the Grenadines, with the country recording a sixth fatality from the mosquito-borne illness.
The latest victim is a 13-year-old female student who had been a patient at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital for more than 10 days.
According to the country's Ministry of Health, Wellness and the Environment at least two children have died from dengue, with ages ranging four to nine years old, as a result of the current outbreak.
“As previously indicated, one adult female and one nine-year-old male who died were confirmed on laboratory diagnosis to have had dengue fever. A four-year-old male who died before the dengue test could be completed, has now been confirmed to have had dengue fever from a sample taken after his death. An elderly male, who died on Friday, September 25 at the Milton Cato Memorial Hospital, has also been confirmed to have had dengue fever,” the ministry said in the statement.
“The mosquito borne disease continues to affect all health districts, but most cases have been reported as occurring in persons who live in the Kingstown, Georgetown and Pembroke Health Districts. Persons in the 0-15 year age group account for the majority of cases,” added the ministry.
The health authorities said that the 432 laboratory-confirmed cases of dengue fever have now been recorded in St Vincent and the Grenadines since the outbreak was first noted in June.