(CMR) The U.K. Foreign and Commonwealth Office has “temporarily withdrawn” Cayman Islands Governor Anwar Choudhury from his post pending an investigation into “a number of complaints” against him, Premier Alden McLaughlin said in a statement released early Wednesday.
Many in the local community are expressing shock and disbelief at the news stating that this governor was the one they most related to. One local resident noted:
“I'm in complete disbelief! He is one of a us – a persons that appeared to have enjoyed all things local and really took on board the Cayman culture.”
Cayman officials, including the premier and Deputy Governor Franz Manderson, were advised of the FCO’s decision late Tuesday.
The premier’s statement did not specify whether the complaints against Mr. Choudhury were related to Cayman or elsewhere. The premier also did not state the nature of the complaints.
Mr. McLaughlin, who is in the U.K. this week, said he was advised by the U.K. overseas territories minister, Lord Tariq Ahmad, that Mr. Choudhury was in the U.K. and that the investigation against him was likely to take four to six weeks.
He further stated:
“I have also spoken with the Acting Governor who confirmed that he had been similarly advised and that he was in post and had briefed Chief Officers. I have advised the Speaker, the Cabinet, the Government Caucus and the Leader of Opposition accordingly.”
I have also spoken with the Acting Governor who confirmed that he had been similarly advised and that he was in post and had briefed Chief Officers. I have advised the Speaker, the Cabinet, the Government Caucus and the Leader of Opposition accordingly.
“While this development was unforeseen and is most unfortunate, I am confident that it will not affect the continued good governance of the Cayman Islands,” Premier McLaughlin said.
Franz Manderson will be acting governor in the interim.