(CMR) An engineering report had warned of structural damage to the Florida 12-story condo building, which partially collapsed last week, killing nine people and resulting in over 150 persons from several different countries still unaccounted for.
However, an official associated with the condo building assured residents the building was safe, investigations have revealed. NPR said it obtained minutes of a 2018 meeting that shows a Surfside town inspector met with residents of the building, and assured them the building was “in very good shape.”
Susana Alvarez, a resident of the building, says she was at a November 2018 meeting and said residents were told the building was safe.
Rescue crews continue to comb through the rubble where a section of the 12-story building collapsed in Surfside early Thursday morning, but officials say they have not detected any signs of life.
Four of the deceased were identified by Miami police as Stacie Dawn Fang, 54; Antonio Lozano, 83; Gladys Lozano, 79; and Manuel LaFont, 54. Officials are in the process of collecting DNA samples from families to help identify more victims as search efforts continue.
The cause of Thursday's collapse is still under investigation.