(CMR) The 2021 Proud of Them gala banquet ceremony was held on Thursday evening at the Ritz Carlton as the government celebrated Cayman's youth and their outstanding achievements in academics, sports, career and community service.
Fourteen young Caymanians, ages 10 to 25, have been named the 2020 Proud of Them honourees for their achievements and positive contributions to society.
The event's theme for this year's ceremony was ‘reaching higher'. They were nominated by members of the public and selected out of 75 nominees.
The Ministry of Education appointed a selection committee chaired by Tayvis Walters, a former honoree to review and select 14 honourees. After the selection process, the young people are featured on billboards around the island for twelve months.
During the gala, a monetary grant of $1,000 each was presented to the honorees. The awardees are:
- Keya Berry, Academics and Sports
- Elihandro Bodden, Academics, Culture and Community Service
- Chadene Brooks, Academics and Community service
- Christon Ferguston, Academics, Sports and Community Service
- Jelani Hanson, Academics and Community Services
- Jaryed Myles, Community Service
- Joshua OGarro, Sports
- Moriah Padua, Community Service
- Kianda Parchmont, Business
- Kristina Powell, Academics
- Casseidy Davis Quintero, Culture
- Joelyn Scott, Academics
- Leah Robinson, Academics and Community Services
- Danielle Seales, Academics, Culture and Community Service
The program was started in 2011 as a result of feedback from the National Youth Commission in conjunction with the Deputy Chief Officer in the Ministry of EYSAL, Joel Francis.
Tayvis Walters was appointed Chairman of the Proud of Them Committee in October. Walters is a former honoree in 2017 for Career, Business and Community Service and serves as a current CARICOM Youth Ambassador.