(CMR) Today is world suicide prevention day. And with the recent rise in anxiety and depression among people, due to the coronavirus pandemic, CMR is sharing some facts about suicide and suicide prevention.
- Mental illness is present at the time of suicide 27% to more than 90% of the time.
- When a person attempts suicide, this isn't necessarily a sign that they want to die. Instead, it's an indicator that they are in great emotional pain.
- On average, 1 person dies by suicide every 11 minutes in the US.
- Even though some suicides may seem to come out of the blue, it's quite likely that the person had been depressed for a very long time.
- The rate of suicide is highest in middle-aged white men.
- You don’t give someone suicidal ideas by talking about suicide. Rather, the opposite is true.
- Close to 800 000 people die due to suicide every year.
- It is estimated that around 20% of global suicides are due to pesticide self-poisoning, most of which occur in rural agricultural areas in low- and middle-income countries.
- For every 1 suicide 25 people make a suicide attempt.
- Suicide is the leading cause of death in people aged 15-24 in many European